Skip to main content

10th ANNIVERSARY BORNEO JAZZ FESTIVAL - PARTY ALL NIGHT LONG

Ever since the first coverage for Borneo Jazz last year, I had a brand new perception towards Jazz genre. I ain't loving any genre in particular and have no bias towards any, I just love music. They are like part of my life which is inseparable.
SHAFIEE OBE & ALL THE BEST 
(SARAWAK, MALAYSIA)
I may sound I am making this up BUT I had been expecting for the 10th anniversary Borneo Jazz ever since last year. It will be big. It will be great. IT WILL BE AWESOME! I am certain that it is going to be huge and grand! That's how high my expectation is towards the 10th Borneo Jazz Festival. They always say, "The higher expectation, The greater disappointment may be." True and yet not true.

                                                                             LLUIS COLOMA (SPAIN)

However, I do have something that bothers me. I am in a truly complicated or shall I said extraordinary relation by having duo status for covering Borneo Jazz this year because I am part of the official hotel staff and also part of the media team. I am taking every single advantage of my position in the hotel to get first hand information and keep myself in loop and updated. I am hoping to get different coverage and updates of Jazz in a different perception rather than just a media. Indirectly participation, knowing how it started from scratch to something, it ain't job for one man show. 

JUMP 4 JOY (SWEDEN)                                                                                                                                                            

Putting up everything in place, from lighting that creates multi-colour layered that eye captured to the sound system, getting assured every single pitch in the right tune just to ensure everyone have the best sound surrounding of music enjoyment. The most eargasm sound the ear could absorbed. That's how hard the team had been working on day and night.


The whole point is truly ain't about just organising such music festival. Personally, I see it as a platform for musician to gather and shared their work. A place where music lovers indulge in great music that this musician had gathered. A destination where all performers come and gather around for one same reason. Purely for MUSIC, Jazz Music! Nothing can beats the fire burning passion .

                                                                                                                                       THE DOODADDIES (AUSTRALIA)
I won't be commenting on each performances but I would write up on some of them that blew me off out of space. Besides, personal sense which is too subjective for me to judge and my preferences may vary from yours. They were more than amazing and each of them had their own personality. And of course not to mention such great passion they have towards Jazz music. UNBEATABLE is the most appropriate word if really I need to find a word for them.

I personally think that Sarawak Tourism Board (STB) had made a great move to select from the previous years performers and get their return to this very same stage and celebrate such wonderful 10th Anniversary together. The performers get to share how they felt on their previous stay which other performers don't get too as we do not have after performance conference. On the other hand, us, the host were more than happy and delighted to see familiar faces once again.

THE NYLONS (CANADA)

(photo credited to STB official photographer)

Among that 2 nights, I will have to mention this band in particular. Just bits compliment of mine to this acapella group which is my favourite, who performed on the first night music festival. Lovin' them to the max. From their blending tone and voice, to their mixture of compilation sound makes the whole performance much alive. Specially their musical track of our childhood Disney cartoon, The Lion King - "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" just simply AWESOME! Simply eargasm! So pure & genuine. The crowd just wanted more from them.

ANTHONY STRONG (UNITED KINGDOM)
Another performer which I had been eager for his return had come true this year. He is none other than the talented Jazz singer, Anthony Strong. He can always get me back on earth when I am trying to stay outta space. That's how great his voice are.

However, there's slight disappointment I felt and which I got the same comment from a few friends too. They think that the festival are lacking of young blood performers. They love Anthony Strong like I do. Therefore, they are expecting more of such performers. Certainly all of them are great. I am definitely impressed with the varieties 
 of Jazz performers that had blend in all over the world during the music fest BUT yet still unable to satisfy and fulfill satisfaction of younger age group which I think shall be the potential and future "listeners". May take such feedback into consideration for future reference.

For me, being part of the team, I got valuable experiences that money can't buy. I learn to listen. I learn to differentiate and also get to know and understand that most of them aren't pure Jazz. Ain't the old school Jazz that sounds like oldies. They had blend in what they called culture influence, local diversity and definitely their music influential which gave listeners a whole new perception and life to Jazz.

I wouldn't know simple harmonica with high tune can blend in so well into Jazz until The Doodaddies, band from Australia amazed me. The same goes to loud trumpet of different sizes (forgive me that I do not know the name of the instrument), that Dirty Dozen Brass Band from New Orleans, USA used to impress everyone on the ground which give much tune and pitch are simply fascinating. All these are music that know no boundaries. They tie human closer to each other with no language spoken.

Opening with starter of soft R&B Jazz, slowly moving down from funk Jazz then Blue Jazz keeps the people grooving on the first night, and slowly diversifying into Rock & Roll and Funky Jazz on the second night keeps the crowd screaming!!! Layering every piece of Jazz performances into a nice bowl of Tom Yam soup. Spicy level that keeps you hot & spicy. Sourly taste which enlighten your taste bud and light sweetness that gave you the happiness while enjoying the savoury taste of it. Just too addictive to resist! Do forgive me for using such description, as I can't find something closer than this to express my words.

                                                                               MO' BLOW (GERMANY)

Perhaps I ain't from music background. I seems to have this ancient thought that particular genre are only meant for particular instrument. I know I sounds bias BUT clearly stated that how uneducated am I towards the most wonderful sound in the world, music!

The only thing I am doing as an appreciation? Grooving in to every single bits of knots. I know nothing about chord. I know nothing about bass and I believe most of them with me right at the ground that night may be the same BUT who cares?!?! Most of all, STB had throw a party that everyone enjoyed.

THE DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND (NEW ORLEANS, USA)

We, the Sarawak Bloggers are truly honoured to be invited by STB for celebrating the 10th Borneo Jazz birthday. Not forgetting the Sarawak Bloggers for getting me as part of the team. It was an unforgettable night. I party real hard and had max fun! Definitely hoping to see everyone again next year. Make sure you mark your calendar, next Borneo Jazz will be on 13th & 14th May 2016. See you NEXT YEAR! Adios~

There's more pictures available here or you can click into my other fellow bloggers to read more about their fun time during the 10th Anniversary Borneo Jazz celebration below:

Ladybird Eileen
Elena Aradia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABM 5

This is a video specially for my classmates ABM 5! I created myself and hopefully all of you will love it and like it! I will be missing you all very much and thanks for the sweet memories you all had gave me... See you all SOON!!~

Miri Community

How much people out there really know how much states do Malaysia have? Even they knew it but they would never know where they actually situated. People would be proud of how much country they had been to but never feel ashamed that they had never been to most of the states of their own country. As a Malaysian I am proud to be one of the citizens. Having this opportunity I would like to describe a few things and attractions of my homeland, MIRI ! When you see this word, how much do you really know about this place? No idea? When someone mentioned Brunei they would know but Miri is just neighbors’ to them and they never knew where is Miri or Miri actually exist. Frankly speaking, I never knew the exact history of this place I called homeland but I knew partially about it and grow up with it. Watching it grow and expand with achievement is just like parents watching their child grow up and the happiness can never ever described by any words in dictionary. From a small town we had bee

Mandara Spa - Miri Marriott Resort & Spa (20th Anniversary)

In such hectic and fast pace era, we are in need of relaxation and proper stress release method. Nothing beats a great detoxification and massage that could reduce tension muscle which had been stiffed and hard as rock.  Probably, its the right time to pamper and go for a good drink, a great meal or perhaps even an awesome deal of spa. Mandara Spa had recently launched a good deal promotion where you can put behind your worries and contribute to those who are in need. Nothing feels better than doing good deed and pampering yourself at the very same time. Always awesome to kill two birds with one stone. Definitely worthwhile paying for charity that helps building a kid future, shaping a better generation and also creating a better place.  Mandara Spa is a world wide known spa which started with a humble beginning from Bali. This year May marked their 20th anniversary.  In conjunction with their 20th Anniversary, Mandara Spa are having a whole week of activities starting from